Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Stretching Every Dollar!

Recently my best friend, Soh Wah shared with me how she had spent over $20,000 for a short vacation in Australia's Gold Coast. She had brought her husband, Yew Tian and two sons along. They had spent only 8 days. They had to spend quite a lot on meals as only some meals were provided, and extras on special tours. She spent Aust600 just to go for a tour of the 12 Apostles! Despite her husband's groaning, they enjoyed the ride along the Coastal Highway.

In December 1986, 18 months after I started teaching, I brought my eldest sister, Lee Lee on a 10 day tour of New Zealand. I wanted to pamper my sister for she had been a most wonderful sister. We had so much good food in various Chinese and Western restaurants and had a free stopover at Melbourne as we wanted to visit our sister Ean Ean. I remember I had paid only $1850 per person for the New Zealand tour. Gosh, the dollar has shrunk so much! Not somone who understands Economics, the meaning of inflation has finally sunk in! I realise we cannot fight inflation, but we can stretch every dollar by changing our mindset and in the process, become good stewards of our time, talent and money!

Hence the idea of starting this blog! My friends and relatives realise I have the inclination to buy things that are not only cheap but good as well. Hence, in this blog I will feature articles on good buys and where readers can find good and cheap things.....in other words, where every dollar can be stretched.!

I will also post articles on creative ways to do things, hence avoiding the traditional and habitual ways, eg. Tuition is NOT really necessary! Save your fees!
etc.

Readers are also free to write in to me if they know of something good and cheap. I will visit the shop/stall with my digital camera and do a write up in this blog.
Let us all share our ideas, weal and woe, tears and laughter!

Happy reading and stretching!

Gan Chau

No comments:

Post a Comment